SOR 57: What’s the Best Way To Use Flyers?
I have a great listener question in this episode. Joni shares that booking agents she’s worked with swear up and down by using flyers to promote shows. She’s running into legal issues and wants to know what’s the right way to use them. The short answer is I think flyers can be a fantastic promotional tool, although I’m not a fan of how most people use them. I share my thoughts, and of course if you have a theatre marketing question of your own you can ask it here.
In this episode:
- the blanket approach of flyers – it can be wasteful to just try to get a flyer into the hands of everyone
- negative feelings from poorly targeted promotions – I get (irrationally) upset when people give me promotions that are clearly not appropriate for me
- the right mindset for promotion – giving someone a flyer when they are looking for something to occupy their eyeballs is far more effective than trying to interrupt them
- My Name is Barbra – website for Joni’s Barbra Streisand Tribute show
Here’s a (free) way you can help the podcast
An important part of being discovered by new listeners on iTunes – far and away the most pervasive podcast directory – is to get reviews from your listeners. If you have found value in this podcast, I would very much appreciate you taking just a minute or two to leave a review. It’s incredibly easy:
- Go to the Sold Out Run page in iTunes.
- Click the number of stars for the rating you think this podcast deserves.
Thanks to Joni for the question, and thank you for downloading and listening.