SOR 036: Goals That Set You Up To Fail
At this time of year, it’s useful to reflect on how things have gone over the last 12 months and what you’d like to change moving forward. Usually this takes the form of setting goals for the coming year. That type of striving to improve can be good, but if you aren’t careful about the goals you set you’re inviting failure and frustration.
The good news: it’s easy to fix.
In this episode:
- the trouble with most goals – why so many typical goals are going to leave you gnashing your teeth
- outcome-based goals vs. behavioral-based goals – which is a better metric of long term success
- habits lead to goals – what are the habits of someone who is likely to experience the outcome you’d like
- SMART Goals – the Wikipedia page on this methodology for creating goals
- TeuxDeux – the task managing app that I recommend in the quick tip
Have a question?
Have a marketing question (or comment) you’d like to hear featured on a future episode of the podcast? You can record it here.
I could use your help
An important part of being discovered by new listeners on iTunes – far and away the most pervasive podcast directory – is to get reviews from your listeners. If you think this podcast is valuable, I would very much appreciate you taking just a minute or two to leave a review. It’s incredibly easy:
- Go to the Sold Out Run page in iTunes.
- Click the number of stars for the rating you think this podcast deserves.
Thanks to you guys for listening and giving me feedback about how the show is helping you and what I could be doing differently to help you more.