In this episode I pick the brain of Kayla Hulen, the social media general behind the sold out run of Footlite Musical’s Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Not content with the already sizable time commitment of stage managing, she jumped in and started engaging in the online conversations about the production. (She’s a professional marketer by day.)
In this episode:
- what theatre can learn from “business” marketing - the right technology allows you to engage with people and quickly build a community
- how to reach beyond the local theatre community – it’s a mixture of luck and connecting with people where they are
- which networks should you frequent – it’s not just about the number of “followers” you get, it’s about how many people you can engage with
- social media tools to monitor and engage – Kayla shares the tools she uses (and they have free versions)
- Mention – an online service that allows you to easily monitor the online conversations about a particular topic
- Buffer – a great tool for scheduling social media updates in advance
- SOR 011: Zach Rosing – previous podcast episode with the multimedia artisan (and producer of Hedwig)
credit: Zach Rosing
Have a question?
Have a marketing question (or comment) you’d like to hear featured on a future episode of the podcast? You can record it here.
Here’s a (free) way you can help the podcast
An important part of being discovered by new listeners on iTunes – far and away the most pervasive podcast directory – is to get reviews from your listeners. If you think this podcast is valuable, I would very much appreciate you taking just a minute or two to leave a review. It’s incredibly easy:
- Go to the Sold Out Run page in iTunes.
- Click the number of stars for the rating you think this podcast deserves.
Thanks to you guys for listening and giving me feedback about how the show is helping you and what I could be doing to help you more.