SOR 49: Beth Williams of AUP Talks About What She Took Away From the Open Book Project and Which Tactics She Used to Successfully Promote Her Latest Show
At the end of last year I did a series of blog posts where I chronicled the process of promoting a show at a small professional theatre as it was happening. I called it the Open Book Project, and I went into great detail about my thoughts and conclusions from the process. In this episode I bring on Beth Williams from the theatre that participated in the project to find out what she took away – and how the marketing went for their latest show.
In this episode:
- the best takeaway from the Open Book Project – every show is different, but there’s one tool that Beth will be using for every show
- how the marketing process worked on a different show – At Home At the Zoo is a tough sell, but how did the tactics work on a more recognizable show
- which tactics were the most demanding – sometimes you are working on a limited time table, so which tactics might need to be removed for time
- how you market success – once the show opens, the size of your crowds and the word of mouth can shift what marketing options are available to you
- what makes a for a good interview – as more and more theatres are now using interviews of the cast as a marketing tool, what makes for an interview that stands out from the crowd
- The Open Book Project – landing page for the project where you can see all the elements on a promotional campaign as they happen
- AUP’s Production Blog – depending on when you’re reading this you might have to go back a few pages, but this is where the bios (worth checking out) and other marketing pieces for Streetcar live
Here’s a (free) way you can help the podcast
An important part of being discovered by new listeners on iTunes – far and away the most pervasive podcast directory – is to get reviews from your listeners. If you think this podcast is valuable, I would very much appreciate you taking just a minute or two to leave a review. It’s incredibly easy:
- Go to the Sold Out Run page in iTunes.
- Click the number of stars for the rating you think this podcast deserves.
Thanks to Beth first for being my guinea pig for the Open Book Project and again for joining me on the podcast, and thanks to you guys for listening.