SOR 038: Jessica Redden
Jessica Redden is an account executive in the events and entertainment division of Bohlsen Group. Jessica is the type of person you would be working with if you had a significant PR budget for your production, and she was kind enough to answer a few questions about media outreach. From her bio on the Bohlsen Group website:
Her proficiency in media relations has garnered national coverage for clients by CNN, Washington Post, New York Times, NPR, Wall Street Journal and others internationally.
In this episode:
- why it’s hard to do PR on your own – not knowing how to reach the right people for media coverage
- the secret to finding the right people – it’s forehead-smackingly simple
- is it worth pursuing the media when you’re relatively small – your approach may change, but it’s still worth the time investment
- find story angles to present – if you want to appeal to a journalist, think like a journalist – and make it as easy as possible for them to picture what they would write about
- should you seek media after you open – I emphasize opening night a lot on Sold Out Run, so I wanted to know what Jessica thought about pursuing the media after that night has come and gone
- how to measure success – ultimately ticket sales are king, but how else can you tell if your media outreach efforts are having success
- Bohlsen Group – a high caliber PR and marketing agency with (among other things) an events and entertainment division
- NUVO – alternative print and digital magazine for Indianapolis
Have a question?
Have a marketing question (or comment) that you’d like to hear featured on a future episode of the podcast? You can leave me a voicemail.
I could use your help
An important part of being discovered by new listeners on iTunes – far and away the most pervasive podcast directory – is to get reviews from your listeners. If you think this podcast provides some value, I would very much appreciate you taking just a minute or two to leave a review. It’s incredibly easy:
- Go to the Sold Out Run page in iTunes.
- Click the number of stars for the rating you think this podcast deserves.
- Write a sentence or two about what you like (or don’t like).
Thank you to Jessica for joining me on the podcast, and thanks to you guys for listening.